A Daley Labor government will match the budgeted funding commitments for safety upgrades to the Princes Highway.
The pledge was made in a statement released by NSW shadow treasurer Ryan Park on Tuesday afternoon.
Labor's promise to match budgeted highway funding commitments comes in the wake of last Wednesday's Coalition pledge to spend $960 million on duplicating the highway between the Jervis Bay turnoff and Sussex Inlet Road, building a Moruya bypass and beginning detailed planning work on the long-awaited Milton Ulladulla bypass.
All eyes will now be on Tuesday's release of costings for election promises by the Parliamentary Budget Office to see exactly what amount has been set aside by the government for highway improvements over the next four years.
A Labor source said there would "no daylight" between the Coalition and Labor's budgeted commitments to upgrading the highway.
Mr Park took the opportunity in his highway pledge to hit back at Transport Minister Andrew Constance's criticism of Labor for not immediately matching the Coalition pledge, accusing Mr Constance of ignoring pleas from local communities.
“As I have previously said, Andrew Constance is treating the people who live along the South Coast as mugs and he should have addressed this years ago,” he said.
"The Berejiklian Government could have paved the Princes Highway in caviar instead of spending $2.2 billion to knock down and rebuild stadiums in Sydney.
“Labor will listen to the experts, and prioritise the sections of the Princes Highway that are in most need of remediation or replacement.”
The highway commitments from both sides of politics come a year after the FIX IT NOW campaign was launched.