Maxine and Mazza Grasa's 1926 Clyno is a rare make of car on the Australian vintage car scene.
The couple, who are Milton Ulladulla Vintage and Classic Car Club members, took the Clyno to the National Motoring Heritage Day, which is run by the Shoalhaven Historic Vehicle Club, held annually at the Berry Showground in May, and they had success.
The Clyno, to the couple's amazement, received a Merit Award for an Outstanding Presentation in 'A Salute to European Vehicles' category.
Maxine and Mazza bought the Clyno after they saw an advertisement on a website in 2017.
Both are lovers of older cars and Mazza had restored a number of vehicles over the years.
However, they had never restored a car almost 100-years-old.
It all happened while trawling the 'cars for sale' section on Maxine's computer when she spotted the Clyno.
"This old car looks interesting, and it wouldn't be a challenge to bring it back to life," she said to Mazza.
"What do you reckon?" she put to Mazza.
Mazza had never heard of the name, nor had he ever thought of restoring a wooden-frame car.
He'd been a plant mechanic and always worked with things mechanical, but not wood.
So, the 'dynamic duo' took the plunge, dialled the owner's contact number and headed out to St Marys to take a look.
A deal was done and after taking it home to the Shoalhaven, it was time to investigate more into this rare piece of automotive history.
Clyno was a family company, originally a motorcycle manufacturer stating in 1909, then shifting to car production in 1922.
In an attempt to build a better-quality value-for-money car for the masses, Clyno took on the might of British manufacturers Austin and Morris at their own game.
With 12,000 built-in 1926 alone, they were to become the third biggest car manufacturer in England during the 'Roaring Twenties'.
However, the family company was under-financed and by the time the effects of the 'Great Depression' hit in 1929, they were insolvent and the end was nigh.
In seven short years of production, they achieved a great deal, with more than 50,000-cars produced, including exports to several countries, including Australia.
It's not known just how many arrived on our shores, but 47 did in chassis and associated running gear guise (the result of our federal government's import restrictions in order to protect the local motor body building industry) came to Sydney, with the bodies built in Alexandria by Steenbhoms Motor Bodies.
More were shipped to other Australia ports where the local motor body builders would fit the bodies.
About the restoration
Mazza took some hours to get the engine running in order to assess its condition.
The engine was in good shape only needing some basic work, carburettor magneto reconditioned and the four-cylinder side-valve 10.8-litre engine needed some refreshing.
However, the cylinder bores were found to be in good condition, but the car's 12-volt electrical system and wiring needed refurbishing.
The four-wheel braking system required overhauling, and wheel bearings replaced.
Mazza wanted to repaint it in the original paint colour which he found was Rolls Royce red, then finding the perfect match to be Bandford Claret.
Old-school painter and panel beater Julian Caruana flowed the acrylic mix to a gleaming finish, which highlights the Clyno's radiator cowl and associated brassware.
"The springs needed attention, with some height adjustment required in one corner," Mazza said.
"The woodwork was in good nick, but again some realignment required.
"It was obvious that two different workers had assembled each side - obvious because of the quality in the fit and finish."
Maxine and Mazza teamed up on some of the finer points during the restoration, but there isn't any doubt, that their attention to authenticity and detail, is a joy to behold and they are 'keeping the dream alive'.