Gilmore MP Fiona Phillips has renewed calls for immediate funding of Princes Highway upgrades following multiple car accidents during the school holidays.
In a speech to The Federation Chamber on Tuesday, October 15, Mrs Phillips said she would work with the Morrison government and NSW government to stop another tragedy during the holiday season.
Notorious intersections involving the Princes Highway, at Tomerong and Tuross Head, were the scene of accidents during the school holidays.
Five people, including two children, were hospitalised after a two-car collision at the and Hector McWilliam Drive, Tuross Head, on October 1.
Another child was a passenger in a collision at the intersection of Turpentine Road and the Princes Highway on October 3.
On Monday, October 14 a car rolled over at Yatte Yattah with the single occupant having to clamber out of the vehicle.
"The Princes Highway between Jervis Bay Road and the Victorian border is notorious for a reason. Tragically the last two weeks of school holidays have been no exception," Mrs Phillips said.
Mrs Phillips reminded Parliament of the 30 fatalities between July 2012 and June 2017 and the devastating six months between December 2017 and June 2018, during which eight people died from accidents on the Princes Highway.
"Our population can quadruple during these times, and, with it, so does the traffic. That is why the state of our roads is such a critical issue and one we are reminded of every time the tourist season hits."
Two days before the Federal Election the Morrison Government pledged the Milton Ulladulla Bypass would be the first project funded as part of a $500 million commitment to the Princes Highway.
Prime Minister Morrison said his Government would provide up to $400 million to the bypass project to help get local motorists and freight operators home sooner and safer.
Mrs Phillips said she was delighted to hear of the bipartisan support in the lead-up. However, the Gilmore MP has been left deflated as only $50 million out of the $500 million was allocated, and was disappointed in the response from Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Minister Michael McCormack.
In a twist on Australian Community Media's FIX IT NOW campaign, Mrs Phillips has called for state and federal governments to #fixitfaster. The FIX IT NOW campaign calls for a dual carriageway from Sydney to the NSW/Victorian border.
She backed Opposition leader Anthony Albanese's calls, published in The Sydney Morning Herald on September 23, for greater infrastructure spend.
"I want to see this road fixed faster. Last week I heard that the Treasurer wrote to the states asking them what infrastructure projects they want brought forward.
"I hope that the Princes Highway is on the New South Wales Government's wish list. I know it is on mine.
"Bring forward the funding now and let's stop another tragedy during the holiday season."